View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 06:06 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

We had to get my Dad a part time helper. He absolutely refused full time help and also refused to move to assisted living, let alone with one of us. His helper's name was Keith and he was a gift from God at the time. He had a very thick skin so each day when my Dad would fire him over something like getting a drink of water without permission, he'd come back about an hour later and sit there until the black cloud lifted. My sister and I had to make the decisions though, such as taking away his car keys, locking his basement door and taking away the key (so he wouldn't fall down there), taking matches away, etc... he was like a "Dennis the Menace" except that he was 92 years old. I loved him dearly and went each week to take him out and spoil him etc... but he was really a handful.

Keith was with him up until the end, and they eventually became quite close. He even snuck Dad's kitty into the hospital when he was in Hospice so Dad could say "so long" before he passed (with the nurses knowledge but you didn't hear that from me).

It isn't easy at all and but I hope it's a bit easier for you and your siblings than it was with my Dad. He wouldn't even keep his thermostat turned up, we had to watch every little thing.

Eventually he developed leukemia near the end before the hospice so his last 1 or 1.5 years were really all that he suffered too badly. Unlike my Mom who was sick for five years before passing from Alzheimer's.

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (07-31-2009)