View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 10:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Sorry to hear that you spouse went to a NH, sometimes that is the best even when they don't want it.
I took care of my mom who progressed from full mobility to a w/c in five yrs. She had a few falls and broken bones. Her mind was good during the day, had sundowners at night. I was working f/t and left it in 2007 due to the stress of taking care of her which along with my own stress, brought me out of remission for MS.
My mom absolutely said never to put her in a nursing home, but I was having problems with her on the floor almost every morning when I got home from work, the police were threatening me with eldercare abuse, I switched to a job closer to home and hated it. All this caused me a serious nervous breakdown. I could no longer care for mom and keep both of us safe.
She did go to my sister's home who promptly put her in a NH. This is the last thing either of us wanted, but at least I don't have to worry about her falling, she gets her diaper changed on a regular basis, is not full of poop because she would not let me clean her. and so on.
I can not have any contact with her because she wants to come back home, but I know she is well taken care of.
So, we all have to do things we don't want to, but, to improve her quality of life and mine, she went anyway.
scooter rrt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (08-01-2009), Hockey (08-09-2009), SandyC (08-01-2009), tamiloo (08-08-2009), tied (01-01-2010)