View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 06:14 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm not sure what DVT (diverticultis) or FMS (fibromyalga?) are, but here are some suggestions. Sounds like the pain is pretty specific to one area. I have the same questions - where on the left side of the abdomen? Is it upper, mid, or lower abdomen? Have you considered all the organs that are on the left side of the abdomen - stomach, spleen, pancreas, & decending colon? The high WBC made me think of a spleen problem, but it also could be in response to fighting off an intestinal pathogen. One course of antibiotics may not work for certain parasites and bacteria. If it's lower abdomen, consider left ovary (cysts) or uterus (fibroids, endometriosis).

I find it helpful to work with a combination of both alternative and traditional western medical doctors. For example, I was having pain on my left abdomen and central upper abdomen. My chiropractor narrowed it down to my transverse and decending colon. Because I had travelled out of country twice this year, I focused on parasite and pathogen testing. I had to have about 4 or 5 tests (combo of stool and blood antigen testing for parasites) and two doctors before I found out what it was. If you have done any travelling outside of this country, you should do every parasite and pathogen test there is before giving up on that. Here is one story of a woman who had a very difficult time getting diagnosed, then properly treated for her parasite:

http://www.badbugs.org/index.html

I ended up having bacterial dysbiosis. Somewhere, there is a thread about it that I posted in October about it with this title. I ended up being diagnosed through a doctor of oriental medicine and had my lab tests done through Diagnos-Techs. I did a bunch of parasite and pathogen testing through my local hospital, but what they tested for was limited, and I really had to ask specifically what they were testing for and what exactly my doctor ordered. The local hospital lab did not test for certain parasites and bacteria, so they missed the bacterial overgrowth of bad bacterial that I had.

I also had testing done for delayed food allergies. Again, I had to ask for these, but my GP was willing to order the tests. It was a blood test that tested for IgG antibodies to 90 foods. Once I found out what the offending foods were, I eliminated them and felt better. I'm pretty sure I had leaky gut syndrome. I've been working with my DOM/acupuncturist on this. I've been happy with my results so far. I don't know which came first; the leaky gut syndrome or the bacterial overgrowth. I had problems before I travelled internationally, and my digestive problems got worse after I had surgery this April to remove uterine fibroids. I suspect that the massive quantities of ibuprofen I was taking was damaging my intestines. Leaky gut syndrome, bacterial dysbiosis, antibiotic use, and ibuprofen use are all connected.

I didn't end up having a colonoscopy because I had already had surgery this year for uterine fibroids and I didn't want another invasive procedure. I was happy that I persisted in working with my alternative and western doctors to find out the problems.

Are you taking probiotics? If not, make sure you get all your testing done for parasites and pathogens before you start taking them. Then, you can start the probiotics, which is a good idea if you have taken antibiotics.

Claire

Last edited by diamondheart; 12-31-2006 at 06:20 PM.
diamondheart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote