View Single Post
Old 08-01-2009, 08:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post
As my neuropathy gets worse, and my feet grow progressively more numb, what can I do to keep walking? I come home after a brief shopping trip and slip off my most supportive shoes and my feet can't feel the floor, and walking is difficult. Is it possbile to keep walking after the nerves have died? I can still wiggle my toes, as my PN is sensory only, so far.
Balance can become an issue, and if motor nerve damage is a problem as well you may experience some muscle atrophy or weakness when walking. I have sensory and motory neuropathy in my feet. I have one foot braced so that I dont have a drop foot and walk correctly, the other foot is getting braced this week. I began walking with a cane when balance started to become an issue, now I use forearm crutches. Your experience may differ though, these are the kinds of questions to talk to a neurologist about, or at least a physical therapist. People do walk on numb feet though, you may just have to make some changes to how you get around or to your environment. I have a rail in the tub and a bench to sit on when showering so I dont fall.
kreink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DejaVu (11-09-2015), Dmom3005 (08-12-2009), Kitt (08-01-2009), zkrp01 (11-08-2015)