View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 09:37 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Withdrawal well-documented

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
interesting you are having withdrawal issues with Mirapex. I quit cold turkey after my DBS. (Max dose of 4.5 mgs daily) My question is; do you think your
"addiction" is physical or pyschological? I never had any yearnings to go back on it myself.

Charlie
We all respond quite differently to agonists it would seem and I question why neurologists would even use it in differential diagnoses. The response to this drug class varies widely. For me, there is little benefit, if any at all with a low dose and I can't tolerate high doses due to side effects.

girija, I too have had withdrawal effect at a very low dose (.75 mg daily). The withdrawal feels physical, at least in my case. I think feeling like you belong in a methadone clinic and calling your doctor to beg for some sort of substitute to help you get through it, is indicative of a withdrawal phenomenon of some sort. If I even missed a dose of it, my body let me know in no uncertain terms who was boss. Google it and you'll find this is not uncommon.

Just my opinion, but wouldn't Sinemet be the standard to use in running an "ldopa challenge"? This does not mean that Sinemet has to be started at this point, but frankly, if my neurologist were testing me, it's the only drug I think that has been around long enough and works consistently enough to make a definitive diagnosis. Anyone else? My 2 cents.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
EugeneS (08-04-2009)