View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

It would be great to get more answers
So many on BT are not around (or posting) anymore, Toad, AnnT, Carol (pwnkle), ScottandCE, boilerman, Barbarb Davidson...
It shines a light on our history; what has changed; what is different?
Having a busy, knowledgeable online community makes quality of life better. Just knowing there is someone outside of my personal space is helpful.

What is different: The Internet has grown. And with it, our ability as patients is enhanced by being able to learned from the bounty of information found on the Internet. BT was not like NT in many ways. Yes, there was discussion about research and important topics, but I think these two items have evolved beyond what many of us "old-timers" had expected. This is a great thing.

I think I am correct in saying that 15 years ago, maybe just 10 years ago, there was no community, at least not as it is today. PLWP and the Dumpster Gang got things rolling. If BT had not been around in the late 1990s I would not have met all the PWPs I know today. I wasn't there, but I remember the talk about the group of Dumpsters (I think it was Dumpsters...someone correct me) who had never met one another and went to a gathering in the East (NC maybe.) I think it was the first such meeting ever and PAN was not formalized yet.

The love of a family is an important one.

As Paula said, keep busy!!
Keeping busy fosters good self-esteem, value of self while living with a disease that can (and does) steal this from many people. Also, depression is sinister and can grip anyone so quickly, before one knows it has happened. Without this to keep it moving, the mind can turn to mush...for lack of a better description. So, keeping busy, physically and mentally is paramount.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote