View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
I went to a gastroenterologist and had an endoscopy after being gluten free for a month.
Chances are you may have had a negative biopsy anyway, even with a gluten containing diet, because antigliadin antibodies are not as highly associated with villous atrophy as the anti-tTG (main celiac test), but one should be eating gluten for at least 6-8 weeks prior to endoscopy. Now you don't know for sure whether that biopsy result was accurate... but no matter... I would take your positive antigliadin antibodies as meaningful and continue with a gluten free diet, as well as take supplements that may be useful for PN. People on the Peripheral Neuropathy board can fill you in on what to include, but certainly B vitamins, E, and there are others frequently used.

Quote:
Are you scheduled for a biopsy? Are you eating gluten?
Any changes in your diet can affect the accuracy of your biopsy results. It is necessary for you to be eating gluten every day for at least 4-8 weeks before the procedure. If you are scheduled for a biopsy and are not eating gluten, talk to your doctor about what is necessary to obtain accurate results. If you have a biopsy and have eaten gluten only a short time before the test, you and your physician will not know if a negative test result is accurate or due to your diet.
University of Chicago Celiac Disease Center
You are lucky to have a neurologist who at least knew to check for antigliadin antibodies. The problem is that neurologists need to take "ownership" of gluten related neurological disease. Once they turn it over the the GI's... the ball is dropped... because GI's are only concerned with whether one shows villous atrophy on biopsy. This is important to know, too, so the biopsy is warranted, but a negative biopsy should not end the story. You can have gluten related neurological disease without showing celiac disease on biopsy!!! All of the pertinent references can be found in the links I left above.

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote