View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane30 View Post
jccgf, you copied and pasted reasons for b12 deficiencies"-N 2 O exposure can occur iatrogenically (ie, anesthesia)"

could someone explain this quote further to me? i had surgery in may and was put under does this cause a b12 deficiency or create symptoms?

sorry for the confusion, i was just re-reading this great info and came accross this.

jane
I use Jarrow Brand Methylcobalamin B12, that you put under your tongue. I think it is probably more important to get the methylcobalamin type of B12, rather than cyanocobalmin, rather than whether it is sublingual or not.... at least this is the message I think I've heard from Rose and MrsD. Just found this thread here on B12 by MrsD:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread85103.html

Having said that, when I began supplementing I took Nature Made cyanocobalamin, 1000mcg daily, in regular pill form, extended release formula, and my level came up and I improved. I've also heard you shouldn't take extended release either, because you want all the bang for your buck at one time...so to speak... so that the 1-2% will be passively absorbed. Methylcobalamin is thought to work better, and for a few people who have trouble in the 'conversion/transport process' it is imperative that they take the active form. I switched over to methylcobalamin when I learned of it. I usually order from Iherb.com , but I have seen Jarrow brand in some better vitamin stores. I've used just about every brand without great preference (Country Life, Solgar, Natural Factors, Source Naturals).

From what I think I remember, a single use of nitrous oxide during surgery can cause a sudden B12 deficiency situation. I'll try to find more on that.

Quote:
Dr. Kinsella has had a longstanding interest in B12 deficiency and its relationship to nitrous oxide, a general anesthetic in common use in dental offices and hospital operating rooms. A B12 deficiency can be caused by nitrous oxide, also known as laughing gas, by inhibiting the action of B12 when tissue stores are low.
"This becomes a public health problem in the elderly undergoing surgery or dental work who may have undiagnosed and untreated B12 deficiencies. It also occurs among dental personnel and others who repeatedly abuse nitrous oxide for its euphoric effects," he says.
Nitrous oxide abuse in the form of "whippets" or "whippits" occurs among medical personnel, teenagers and young adults who purchase nitrous oxide containers from baking supply stores or use the gas contained in whipped cream dispensers (hence the name), says Kinsella. Thomas and colleagues earlier this year published the case of a young man who abused nitrous oxide and devastating neurological damage to the spinal cord and peripheral nerves. The link to nitrous oxide was recognized and the patient recovered with B12 replacement.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-wfn102704.php
I can probably something better than this, but I'm sitting down to dinner... and this is what google brought me. Also got many hits on pub med by entering nitrous oxide B12 deficiency. Try entering the terms here:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/

Last edited by jccgf; 08-05-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: adding detail
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote