View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

**Edit**

After reading your comments Shelmora I must say I felt angry and very sad. I wonder why you had never posted here before. Clearly you have been holding back for some time and your pent up frustrations have been heard loud and clear.

I highly recommend that you read an editorial by Louise Oaklander “RSD/CRPS: The end of the beginning for an attitude adjustment on what defines RSD for any one individual. http://www.rsds.org/2/library/articl..._editorial.pdf

According to your standards I don't have RSD because I DO wear hiking boots (on the days that I can manage to get them on) and yes I also wear jeans too. I'm not going to let RSD control my life and I'm bound and determined to do as much as I can to stay active and involved as long as I can. I refuse to use my cane for fear of becoming too dependant on it and as a result I live with an invisible disease, which gives many rise to question the legitimacy of my diagnosis. I know what it's like to have people look at me with that strange look of disbelief in their eyes. No I am not a WC case nor am I living off the backs of the good Canadian disability pension system.

Back to the subject of the OP, NancyinLA states she’s been told by her doctors that they think she now has RSD in her foot, the same side of her originating site of RSD in her wrist. She asks “can RSD affect one side of the body??” Her doctors have told her they believe it to be so.

A search on RSDSA.org brings up this excellent review of databases on this subject.
Quote:
Clinical Question: Does CRPS-I spread from the original site of appearance?

Clinical Bottom line: Yes, CRPS- I does spread. Although the exact frequency of spread of CRPS-I is not available in the published literature, a pattern called ‘Independent Spread’ is estimated by Maleki etal, to occur in 6.4% of CRPS-I patients. Other investigators agree that spread is not uncommon.
http://www.rsds.org/3/research/evidence_report_1.html

I think this is the single most frightening aspect of the diagnosis for all of us. There is lots of fear around "spread" especially for those newly diagnosed. It's a hotly debated subject and not merely for financial gain. Personally I'd like to know if the intermittent burning and deep bone pain I now experience in my left arm and hand is also RSD? My doctor has not been able to confirm it because I do not display all the signs and symptoms there, it comes and goes. I hope it isn't the spread of my RSD from my left foot. If it isn't RSD I'd sure like to know what it is so it can be treated properly.

MsL

Last edited by Koala77; 08-06-2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: In accordance with NT Guidelines.
Mslday is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ali12 (08-06-2009), Dew58 (08-06-2009), Dubious (08-06-2009), fmichael (08-06-2009), nancyinLA (08-13-2009)