View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default they always say that

Quote:
Originally Posted by imark3000 View Post
"According to Gerard McGill, a medical ethicist at Duquesne University’s Center for Healthcare Ethics, this means the ability to treat diabetes, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, hearing loss, or spinal cord damage with a patient’s own cells is within reach.

"It proves that reprogrammed cells are equivalent to embryonic stem cells," McGill said. "Treatments are at least 15 or 20 years away, but they are reasonable.""
I know, I read it too, but I really don't think this is that far away. Mainly because I think, as a layman of course, that this science will move very, very fast because of the implications, financial being the main one. Any government that could practically eliminate cost of care for diabetes, Alz,and PD (predominantly related to us boomers, who are numerous and approaching retirement as well as the age at which many of the diseases mentioned might appear) will be doing everything they can to spur this along. And of course, it may have the added bonus of putting some folks back into the taxpaying workforce (a double bonus for a government).

And everyone else will be pushing and supporting as well, because they either have the condition themselves, have a loved one with it, are afraid of getting it themselves, or simply because they are compassionate and want to end the suffering. At least, that's what I am hoping.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote