View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ann,
Thank you for this wonderful question asking everyone to look back at who we were before PD. I like to add a little more: How do you view yourself now and how different are you from that person before PD? I hope people respond to this thread. I, personally would love to include this thread in our PD book, of course with author's consent. Let me start.

I was diagnosed with PD almost 6 years ago. Prior to PD diagnosis, my personal and professional life was going so well, our beautiful daughter was born, nice home, faculty position and good research projects, good friends and colleagues, travels like we planned ....well, everything I wanted in life and more! A couple of years of bliss, I developed rotator cuff tears in my right shoulder, hand swing disappeared, my beautiful handwriting was disappearing, friends and family noticed that my movements were becoming slow. I self diagnosed it as PD which the neurologist confirmed....
Went thru a tough time after that , didnot want to burden anyone with my PD, gave up my job, moved back to India so that my daughter will have extended family to rely on after I am gone.....Two years post-PD diagnosis were the worst, I became a person I couldnot recognise as me nor could any one else. But fortunately I got out of that hell and regained my life.
How do I view myself now and how different am I from before PD?
I am still the same old stubborn, strong willed person, now the goals are different...PD has slowed me down but still try to do things I like, still learning to accept my limits and ask for help, but I will not give into PD, I will do what ever it takes to fight it. I enjoy every day of my life with my family, take a day at a time, no long term plans. I am glad I became part of this forum and feel I am doing something positive to keep me going!

Thanks
Girija

Last edited by girija; 08-07-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typos
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote