View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,
Just wanted to check in as a fellow teacher. We go back to school on the 17 of August (far too soon!!). I'm a bit worried about the piggy flu-bug too, but I got a bad flu about a month ago so maybe it was that and now I'm invincible!! I haven;t had a thymectomy but I have heard it can take up to 3 years to get full benefit so ne patient. I am currently on azathioprine and pred to combat my symtoms (as well as LOADS of mestinon). I've been lucky and function pretty normally most of the time now. I feel pretty lucky because 18 months ago i couldn't wash my hair etc etc. I still get frustrated but lead a pretty average life.

I'm not sure what age you teach but if you are concerned about experiencing weakness in your classroom be honest with a responsible pupil - I had a kid (grade 4) that would take over reading aloud for me when my voice would falter and another who knew if I fell (which thankfully never happened) to go get another teacher. Now I'm teaching in a high school and always teach with my door open and everyone knows about my MG. I work with kids with disabilities so we are pretty open about limitations and the kids understand I can't run around, but can do lots of other cool stuff with them.

Hope your summer break was great (I know I'm enjoying every second of mine!).
~Kathy
Scots Kat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote