View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default clusters

I don't think we are breaking any new ground here.

There are already studies on clusters of Parkinson's found in different areas of the country that speculate on what caused it (this was the basis for the study that showed smokers had a lower incidence of PD; it was migrant workers in Eastern Washington). I believe there is a high incidence in Nebraska, for example, which is why they were able to get a registry through there.

Bill Bell's mom was part of a cluster - 5 of 6 homes on a beach cove had Parkinson's in them. Was it a shared well? Shell fish contamination? It is easy to show a coincidence or commonalities; much more difficult to actually prove a causal relationship (like "cigarette smoking causes lung cancer" rather than "there is a higher incidence of cancer among cigarette smokers"). But this is a research design question about level of proof (girija - maybe you can speak to this?)

As far as patient advocacy is concerned, Jackie Christensen has done a lot of work in this area. I will email a link to this thread to her; maybe she can comment.

ALSO - Bill Bell does not have a private jet - the co-founder of the NWPF is a pilot and flies a small 2 seater plane (don't' know if one or two engines); the two of them sometimes fly to visit communities about the work of the foundation.

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote