View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 02:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default former post about ALS,PD and PON gene mutations

re-prompted me to repost this former posting though it is a discussion of ALS+parkinson's:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...nes#post164298

or: http://tinyurl.com/mnyf5r

Note that "Michael7733 makes the observation that it seems people who work with jet fuel and/or ammo are overrepresented in this group, as well as those who handle cyanide.

The article about PON gene clusters --introductory paragraph:
the following concerns a study reported in a well respected, peer reviewed journal, Neurology, august, 2006, about a genetic variation for coding 3 specific detoxifying enzymes that are directly responsible for metabolizing statin drugs and for detoxifying both pesticides and nerve gases.
there are no reports of the % of the population with these genetic variations--though exposure to these environmental factors--statins, nerve gas and pesticides--in individuals with these genetic variations may be a risk factor for developing the neuromuscular diseases associated with PON gene cluster variants.

I think there is a way to determine if one has the genetic variation within PON genes from the extended profile one may access from the 23andme genetic profile. I need a geneticist to assist me in eliciting this info. Perhaps others who have undergone the profiling can do this with instructions from the 23andme staff (who graciously attempted to help me with this).

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote