View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A scan by any other name...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
this is true, MRI's are used to rule out causes of ParkinsonISM. Such as strokes, tumors, hydrocephalus etc. Sorry I took the post so literally.
(they aren't, however, used to diagnose PD!)
Charlie
No need to apologize. I was just happening to read between the lines wondering why the Stalevo was prescribed too. I just figured that someone new to the wacky world of PD diagnosis would be confused by these seemingly contradictory results.

Nicole, if you haven't given up on us entirely...there is no one definitive biochemical test for PD- no blood work, no spit test, no really 100 % accurate brain scan even. More thorough neurologists make the diagnosis after excluding any other possible look-a-like disorders or abnormalities via MRI; then add in clinical observation and patient histories/symptoms. Sometimes, doctors will prescribe a "dopamine challenge" to see if the patient responds positively to levodopa- this will be another indicator to the doctor that it's PD. From my readings, the only way to date that confirms a 100% accurate diagnosis of idiopathic PD is to check the brain for Lewey bodies upon autopsy- sorry to be so grim. I'm not sure if this Lewey bodies presence is still the defining test- if I'm wrong, please correct!

Hope that helps,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote