Thread: post on ECT
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
I realize that we are talking about ECT (electroconvulsive therapy), and that this is barbaric to some people. I can tell you that the effect of ECT, especially the loss of some memory, is not all that bad. The loss usually includes the days during which the patient was given the ECT treatment. It is not usually that you forget where you worked or who you children are.

But is it not worthy of at least some serious discussion on this board. Is it so distasteful to just discuss this concept as a therapy or to even believe that it could be helpful to some PWPs? I hear all the times, "we want a cure or at a minimum better and effective thearpy." Is it just a new pill everyone wants?

If you have had ECT in the past, I am not asking anyone to divulge that since those who have had the therapy for depression don't even like to admit it. That is how unsettling the stigma is.

To begin with:

Is this because DBS makes LOTS of money and so many researchers as monetarily invested, while ECT would not make money. We have discussed this, the financial investment, before. Is ECT so much more scary than having holes drilled in your head and metal rods permanently inserted? Is there no one who would have ECT before having DBS in the off chance that it MAY be helpful. I ask these questions in both veins; 1) for discussion, since the science is not there and 2) in somewhat of a rhetorical nature.

And this quote from the post Linda (the PPP has done considerable research into ECT for PD since Dr. Mark Goulston's article appeared in The Huffington Post a week or so ago) made is simply the manner in which the result of the ECT was measured. It has nothing to do with what any PWP can or cannot do in ones current state of PD.
Hi,

The more I read and learn about this, the more it seems to me that a treatment highly likely to help many PwPs has been left unexplored because the psychiatrists won't encroach on the territory of movement disorder neuros, and the neuros won't, for whatever reason, follow up on what is staring them in the face.

I think the game is changing. DBS is being pushed for earlier stages of PD. Research studies are trying to find evicence supporting DBS as an alternative to ECT.

Who isn't in the game—yet? The patients, of course. We MUST make our voices heard about this. We must demand research on ECT and PD with and without concomitant depression.

The research must be done.

And to answer the question Sticher asks—"Is there no one who would have ECT before having DBS in the off chance that it MAY be helpful"—I would...and I'd regard that choice as offering better than an off chance.

Kathleen
cochrankat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote