Thread: neurofeedback
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2009, 06:08 AM
mhr4

mhr4

Hi Hockey,

Glad to hear that you learned something about the alternative therapies. In case you were wondering, a lot of the therapies I have mentioned have been around for years. Neurofeedback, which has been proven scientifically to work for brain injuries, has been around since the 1970's. One of the reasons why neurofeedback was never accepted by the medical community is because everyone thought the brain didn't have the capacity to change. Only recently, with the discovery of brain plasticity (the ability to grow new neurons and change the physical/chemical makeup of the brain) is the medical community beginning to accept neurofeedback as a viable treatment (As a side note, it is comical to the neurofeedback community that scientists have only recently discovered brain plasticity since neurotherapists have been telling the medical community for 20 years that the brain has the ability to change and heal itself). Other therapies that I have mentioned have also been proven to work in studies done in Europe and Asia.

If you do decide to pursue neurofeedback or any other therapy, you should be very skeptical of the therapists. The therapies work, but they are only as good as the person administering the therapy. Make sure that the therapist has extensive experience treating persons with head injuries as we can be a bit more difficult to treat than the non-head injured population. You should also be aware that there really isn't a "cure" for head injuries (at least not yet, but maybe in 5 years or so there will be), just as there aren't cures for a lot of diseases that plague mankind. However, your goal is to get yourself to a point where you can function in society again. I myself am attending graduate school this fall. However, even though I was able to get myself to a point where I could handle graduate school, I will still need accommodations to get through, such as getting more time to complete tests, sometimes having an extra day to turn in assignments, tape recording lectures, etc...but, I digress.

So, good luck in your quest to heal yourself. Remember, scientists have studied the placebo effect and discovered that it actually works, so keep a positive attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Thank you to both dominant participants for this vigorous exchange. Living out in the sticks, I hadn't even heard of these alternative approaches.

I'm going to consider everything I've just read. However, I'm skeptical by nature. As much as I want a cure, I know there are a lot of people out there hoping to profit from our misfortune and desperation. On the other hand, I must acknowledge that my TBI can make my thinking rigid, and not close myself to new and/or contrary ideas.

The only thing that is clear to me is that I need to learn a lot more about my condition and its possible treatments. Of course, memory and attention problems make that a bit difficult. I am amazed by the capacity of some TBI posters to research and write long, organized missives. What did you guys do before you were injured?
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-12-2009)