View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default regarding glucose levels

Just as a point of interest... I've often seen hypoglycemia listed as being a possible cause of tic disorders as opposed to Tourette Syndrome. (a symptom I guess). I've also seen it in lists of what should be ruled out when a person develops problematic tics.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/990415ap/2263.html
Recognition and Management of Tourette's Syndrome and Tic Disorders
Pagheri, Kerbeshian and Burd.

TABLE 5
Secondary Causes of Tic Disorders

Primary neurologic disorders manifesting tics

Acquired
Head trauma
Encephalitis
Stroke
Sydenham's chorea
Carbon monoxide poisoning
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
Neurosyphilis
Hypoglycemia

http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/20...00/pn_tics.htm

Tics and Tourette's syndrome
VOL 108 / NO 5 / OCTOBER 2000 / POSTGRADUATE MEDICINE

"When should you be concerned about tics?

Several motor tics and one or more vocal tics that can't be explained by other medical conditions, such as seizures or very low blood sugar in a child with diabetes"

My son used to get really hyperactive when he was younger and had too much sugar. Birthday parties at other people's homes used to be a nightmare. All sugar and fat! ugh. I notice my daughter gets really, really grumpy if her blood sugar falls ... usually late afternoon. They both do well if they get decent sleep and if they graze on food during the day rather than consume heavy or large meals. I'm the same although I tend to really crave sugar all the time which is a problem.

Back to the subject of casein. I was concerned that my son had some type of allergy to something in the milk and switched to A2 milk... then more recenly I found out that the A2 milk was a bit of a media-hype and probably doesn't really have the benefits it was marketed as having. I'm not 100% sure about all that A2 business yet. Anyway, he used to crave milk. Was hard to stop him drinking it. This always worried me... the craving part. I tend to crave things my body can do without. Anyway, I was more concerned with his gut really than his tics. (he is on autism spectrum but was also diag. with TS, ADHD, OCD) He didn't seem to find it any different from regular milk. I'm glad he drinks mainly water these days though.

Last edited by Lara; 01-02-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote