View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 04:00 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default My Neuropathic Pain/Help me choose meds

I always thought my hands and feet were just sensitive, and it's just something I had to deal with. I always worse socks and shoes around the house cause my feet couldn't touch anything, especially liquid. When I made food with my friend I would ask her to peel the Avocado, cause the texture would drive my insane. I would wash my hands over and over with the littlest bit of grease on it. When my feat walks on carpet, or even touches it, depending on how bad it is that day, I feel this dull electricity in my feet.

I always saw this as something I had to deal with, I didn't know it could be described as neuropathy. I also realized that one of the reasons I procrastinate with my homework so much is because when I grip a pencil I often sweat, and the feeling of this sweat on my hands causes my whole body too tense up. Last semester I wore gloves to do homework and was surprised by the relief.

So here's where I am. Some of the neuropathy has been relieved by Low-Dose Naltrexone (wiki has some good info on this if you don't know what it is), but it's still there. I also have plantar fasciitis that doesn't want to go away despite expensive insoles, shoes, acupuncture and a foot brace at night, which significantly inhibits my exercise choices (I love Tai Chi but can not do it because of that). The tricyclics are out because I have an essential tremor that gets for worse on tricyclics and SSRIs. I have been looking into Neurontin and Lyrica. I have been leaning towards Lyrica because anxiety and insomnia are also major issues for me.

Another thing I like about Lyrica is that I have read that it causes the most weight gain. I am skin and bones. I have celiac disease (no gluten) and am also intolerant to soy, dairy, eggs, nuts and peanuts. So not only are my diet choices extremely limited, and not only is my metabolism fast, but the LDN (low dose naltrexone) has curbed my appetite. So I would love 20 or 30 pounds. I am currently 5'11" and 150lbs. The LDN has made my stomach sensitive too, and I been getting nauseous when I eat. Will it help with that kind of pain as well? The reason I keep the LDN is because it helps the neuropathic pain and it, for some reason, has extremely helped by ADD, which Ritalin and Adderall failed to do.

So, any advice any of you have would be a great help.
OneScrewLoose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote