View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rick,
Excellent way to describe a PD brain! I am way too familiar with traffic problems (I come from India and live in Southern California) and makes perfect sense to me! I would add to your description one more thing. Lack or mismanagement of funds (growth factors/enzymes/mutated proteins), resulted in bumpy roads or some roads dont exist anymore......

This concept fits well with Ceregene observations that their gene therapy part worked i.e., protein is made, but something is missing in its transport.

This is a good week for PD research! This paper and the other two, one on flu virus causing PD-like symptoms and the other one Ron posted on intranasal inoculation of stem cells......well, may be the light at the end of the tunnel is real, not of a incoming train!!

girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
Let me think a minute...
We have multiple limiting factors-
Number of roads / dendrites
Number of shuttles / dopamine supply

There is no limit on passengers because the other bottlenecks kick in well in advance. So we want to max out the number of shuttles at any one time.

When we come in to the office in the morning, it takes a little time to get shuttles out the door and onto the roads. During this phase, extra dopamine helps becaue the roads are clear. But as the roads fill, the shuttles have to line up at the gate and watch for a chance to merge into the traffic. In this phase additional shuttles do no good. In fact, it might make it worse. But as things fluctuate the line of shuttles drops and more gaps open up. During this phase, extra dopamine can be used and more shuttles hit the road.

So long as we keep buying shuttles our benefits are limited. If we could find a way to build more roads, however....
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote