View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Just my experience

My posts aren't meant to advocate for any procedure or medication. I'm just offering up my experience and you can make of it what you will.

I had the high end imaging because I was in a car crash and seeing my torn axons and shrunken brain was the only thing that would make the other side see reason.

Of all the testing I've had, I found the neuro-psych the most helpful. The imaging told me I had damage; the neuro-psych helped identify how that damage was playing out in my daily life. Two people with fairly equivalent damage could have considerably different post-morbid function. It appears that who you were pre-morbid probably counts for something. For example, my scans showed considerable axonal damage in those areas that regulate inhibition. A gentle person before my injury, I now throw the occasional tantrum over trivial nonsense. A more aggressive person with the same injury might become violent. I’m a big believer in neuro-plasticity and pinpointing how the injury has influenced my function has helped me target my rehabilitative therapy.

I hear you on the drugs. Before I was hurt I’d never even taken as aspirin. Unfortunately, without anti-spasm meds I just couldn’t function. I appreciate your not wanting to take anything – especially when you don’t know what caused your tumble. I just hope you don’t fall again. On that note, I hope you’re in a position where you can get lots of rest. It’s so important not to do things that aggravate your symptoms.
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote