View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM
mhr4

mhr4

Thanks Hockey, your post was also very excellent. I would just add that sometimes you need to get a neuropsych test done in order to get accommodation in school. For some reason, the schools won't allow accommodations without one. And you should also know, in case you don't, that federal law mandates that if her tests do show deficits, they are required to give her accommodations without disclosure to her teachers. The counselor will set everything up for you. However, like Hockey suggested, simply talking to the counselors and her teachers will sometimes suffice. If needed, she can also use this to get accommodations on the SAT and while in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
Wow, that was one heck of a collision!

The previous post was excellent. The only thing I would add is to be watchful for any personality changes (yes, I realize that can be difficult to recognize in young adults) that might be indicative of a more serious brain injury.

I’m not familiar with the clinic in question. However, I think that you are very wise to have her seen at a university facility: most family doctors lack the training to deal with head injuries.

When she returns to school, make sure that her instructors are made aware that she has sustained a concussion. At least for a time she may need some allowances to be made: extra time for assignments, quieter settings for tests, etc…

Wishing her a speedy recovery,
Hockey
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote