View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

The cage is outside. It's about as big as two large laundry hampers. Which is a lot smaller than they tell you, for compost. but it still works. They say you need about a 3' x 3' area or bigger - but who wants to deal with turning all that over? Too much work for me.

I don't put much fruit in mine, because that makes it smell and attracts a lot of insects - and not good ones. Grass, weeds, are most of it with bad tomatoes and cukes from the garden maybe being 5%.

Thing is, I need to cover the finished dirt with plastic and let it set in the sun a few weeks to kill off the bacteria and seeds because this small of a compost does not do as good a job at that as a larger one.

They make this stuff sound so complicated, and it's not. you throw clippings in a pile and let them rot, and that's compost. It's as complicated as you make it.

I figure this, what ever a plant takes out of the ground is what it needs to grow. You put that back in the ground, and you can grow that plant really well. Saves a ton of fertilizing.