View Single Post
Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

There's a new article about zonegram:

http://www.forbes.com/forbeslife/hea...out600520.html

Unfortunately, it's in the sulfur drug family, and I'm allergic to sulfur antibiotics so my doctor won't prescribe this. I was wondering if I should switch from Neurontin to this, but I guess I can't.

Anyone else try this drug? Does it help with bradykinesia?

Oh, Neurotonin (gabapentin) helps with PD, too:

1: Am J Med. 1997 Jan;102(1):60-6.Click here to read Links
Gabapentin for parkinsonism: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial.

* Olson WL,
* Gruenthal M,
* Mueller ME,
* Olson WH.

Department of Neurology, University of Louisville, Kentucky 40292, USA.

PURPOSE: Gabapentin is a recently available anticonvulsant whose mechanism of action remains unknown. We suspected efficacy from serendipitous observations of gabapentin in patients with parkinsonism. This led us to a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover trial.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: We administered gabapentin in a placebo-controlled, double-blind, crossover trial to 19 subjects with advanced parkinsonism. We measured the effect of placebo and gabapentin on subjects' symptoms with the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale, the Webster Scale, and the Hoehn and Yahr Scale. We assessed tremor with surface-recorded electromyography.

RESULTS: Total Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale improved with gabapentin compared with placebo (P = 0.0005). Likewise, activities of daily living and examination subscore of the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale improved with gabapentin compared with placebo but did not achieve statistical significance. Webster Scale showed improvement but neither Hoehn and Yahr Scale nor Webster Scale changes reached statistical significance.

Tremor as measured by the Unified Parkinson's Disease Rating Scale improved with gabapentin but the use of the root mean square of the rectified electromyography as a measure of tremor activity was not statistically significant.

CONCLUSIONS: This study demonstrates that gabapentin improves rigidity, bradykinesia, and tremor of parkinsonism including both Parkinson's disease and Parkinson's syndrome. The rigidity and bradykinesia of parkinsonism improve on the drug even when the effects of gabapentin on tremor are discounted.

I just raised my gabapentin dose, but it's still a very low dose. I need to raise it more (for nerve pain). Maybe it will help me with other symptoms.
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote