View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi, Nicky. Did they run the IgG subclasses too? I have an IgG3 deficiency and my IgG1 runs on the low end.

Think of the GI Tract as "home base" for the immune system. That's where food goes and bacteria goes with it. Ever watch any food rot on a counter? It basically turns to "bad" bacteria.

So, you need good bacteria in the GI tract to make it happy. That first starts with stomach acid. Yes, stomach acid is good. I'm sure all the antacid companies would have you think that the stomach is defective since birth. We start to lose our stomach acid as we grow older. I have been without mine for decades and had LOTS of infections before I started taking Betaine HCL. DO NOT take anything, even echinacea which is not good for those with immune problems, without discussing it with your doctor first. Stomach acid is not only important to digest food but to keep the body's pH balance in order.

Then there are pancreatic enzymes that help digest food and come into play after the acidification of the food. Some people are low on those too. But do not try pancreatic enzymes without supervision either! They can increase things like calcium which can then cause too much calcium in your circulatory system, heart and can cause kidney stones.

Prednisone is an antiprostaglandin. What an antiprostaglandin does is to reduce the gel coating of the stomach. And it often diminishes the production of stomach acid. To keep GOOD prostaglandins in your body, you need to have omega 3's, etc. That is why they often give antacids or acid blockers with Prednisone. Without the gel coating, the stomach is more vulnerable and open to having ulcers. But, again, ulcers are usually from bacteria which would multiply in the absence of stomach acid. Dizzy yet?

Taking probiotics like acidophilus will also help keep the good bacteria in there. It's all about keeping the GI tract healthy and happy.

I do not get infections any more and I used to get them all the time. When I am immunosuppressed, however, they come right back.

I'm sure you guys are sick of all this info but I thought it would help. Just take some time to think about it all and talk to your doctor (who may not have a clue about stomach acid or leaky gut or anything like that). I'm sure Mrs. D would have a lot to add. I'm too worn out at the moment to add any more. Thank goodness, right?!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
DesertFlower (08-16-2009), Nicknerd (08-14-2009)