Thread: Lupus??
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Nicky, Maybe this will help explain the dsDNA issue.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1065341

It is still a very specific test for lupus, along with the "11" criteria that doctors use.

When someone with lupus is in a "flare" of the disease, often similar stressors that make MG worse but particularly exposure to the sun, the antibodies can increase. After seeing so many people with lupus, I would never call it mild. It's a nasty disease that has a mind of its own and can attack anywhere at anytime in the body. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Thyroid antibodies, for example, can be very high but you may have a normal TSH until there is enough damage to the thyroid (antibody attack of it). That situation has to be watched closely too, just like lupus.

A positive ANA can occur in lots of autoimmune diseases. Again, it's not specific to any one of them but indicates that the immune system is "active."

Just like neuros, not all rheumies are created equally. It's a great idea to contact a local lupus foundation for a referral to a rheumatologist who has a good reputation.

Annie

Erin, Whomever would judge you on your "size" needs to walk a day in your shoes. Your personality and kindness outshines any kind of size you may be. I don't think it should be a trade-off either. Why can't they alter Pred to keep it from making people larger?!!
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nicknerd (08-14-2009)