View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Jo:

thanks VERY much for the met connect stuff.

But it doesn't matter because I just came from there. Forget about the firewall things. I got this message, "connect the computer to a modem".

That's when I realized "holy cow, she doesn't have dsl, I should HAVE CONNECTED A PHONE LINE TO THE BACK OF THE TOWER.

She had absolutely no clue what this is about, so off we went to the store and I got the phone jack splitter thingee, and a phone wire, and connected it all.

AND THEN, I BROUGHT UP THE AOL SOFTWARE.

Well, it tells me that her software does not support free dial up, and can she please sign in with (one of the screen names in the AOL page). So I did as prompted. It said "Sign on (using a specific name). and was SUPPOSED TO PROMPT ME TO "view plans", starting at $11.99.

She said "no problem, let's do it'.

So we click on Sign on- it does its connecting thing and BINGO, I get a message that that particular screen name and password cannot connect to the internet (it was her son's screen name and password and it works just fine when he does it).

Then it prompts me to "find another internet connection"

There is no other internet connection.

I have no idea what to do next. I had to go home and eat my dinner.

I think the next time I go there, I'll just call AOL and maybe one of the guys can walk me through setting up a new account on her computer.

It's been SO LONG SINCE I USED DIAL UP, I have to go back in time and learn the stuff all over again.

You should have seen me on the floor trying to sign in. Her monitor is on a little table, the tower is on the floor, there is no mouse pad and there is Melody, age 61, sitting on the floor AND ACTUALLY GETTING UP AGAIN.

Never believed I could do it. (Get on the floor and get up again,lol)

But I did it.

Must be all those sprouts!!!

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote