View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonina View Post
I hope I don't sound too clueless but I'm interested in learning about what benefits you derive from the braces. Do they allow you to walk unaided? I use a walker since my legs are quite weak & I'm wondering if I would be a candidate for braces if they would permit me to move around without using a walker or wheelchair.
hi Antonina

No, I'm afraid that the AFO's don't get rid of the walker (I walk with a walker/ wheelchair too) but they do prevent me from tripping over my feet. I have a bilateral foot drop, which means that I cannot pick up feet up enough to clear the ground when I walk. They don't strengthen or support leg muscles in any way.

I know my left leg has started deteriorating further (actually I can no longer lift it up when I walk due to peripheral nerve damage in my hip) and I know that I am heading towards needing a brace that immobilises my knee on that side. It won't make the leg any stronger, but it will prevent the knee giving out.

If you want to find out whether there are any type of orthotics that could help you, get yourself referred to an OT.

hth
raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote