View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Profit

I think I posted a comment on a different thread you started on this subject not too long ago. I do feel that it is very soon to consider an SCS. All other possible treatments should be thoroughly tried and tested first. A stimulator is a last resort, in my opinion. (BTW, I have had one since 2003.)

I do want to respond to the cost factor, though. Mine cost over $50,000 back then, but the "maintenance" is very low and is generally covered by my insurance, like any doctor visit. One medium-length visit a year usually does it.

A lot of time when people see big dollar amounts, they will think that the provider (doctor, in this case) is taking all of that money to pay for his Swiss ski chalet or something. Like anything else you buy, there are many people with their fingers in the pot. First, a good portion of the cost goes to malpractice insurance companies, because Americans are quick to sue when they don't like their results, and juries are quick to hand over big piles of money because they think doctors are "loaded."

Another big chunk of the cost is for Research and Development (R+D) which funds the scientists who come up with all sorts of neat medical things for us. Of course, they have malpractice insurance to pay as well.

Another reason for the cost is manufacturing. This is not a $20 clock radio churned out in an Asian factory for pennies. This is a high-quality item that has a huge need to be accurate and reliable. When your radio breaks, toss it out and run to Radio Shack for another. When this breaks, you will need surgery again to replace it. It must be put together very painstakingly.

And, of course, the doctor is not the only one involved in putting this in. You will have a hospital or clinic, several surgical techs, nurses, orderlies, doctors, janitors, laundry personnel, accountants, and so on, plus the cost of supplies, heat and electricity, someone to plow the parking lot in the winter. On and on.

I use to be in a retail business and sold a product for $400, for which I made $7.50 in profit. This was in the 70's, but the idea is the same. I truly do not think that doctors make medical recommendations based on how much money they can make. While there are some very incompetent doctors (as there are in every field) and, I am sure, some who are unscrupulous, I believe that represents a small percentage.

Do not forget you should get a second opinion with a step like this.

Good luck to you,

Mike
bassman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (08-17-2009), Dew58 (08-17-2009)