View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 AM
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

it's a double edged sword...

we usually think of supplements are being "natural" and healthy.

so there can be alot of abuse and overdosing because we think "it's" safe...

In actuality, all meds were herbs in the first place. It took quite a few hundred years to now that we have synthetic meds (but a lot of them are still herb based)

And of course, understanding the properties of herb supplements are important. Some of them have close to MAOI properties that can become dangerous if one is on SSRI drugs.

Some of them can even counter the meds that you are taking.

I am NOT against holistic/natural approaches to meds but there needs to be a lot of research and information involved.

There are various degrees of depressions. For severe and clinical, I really wouldn't recommend herbs...

herbatology believe in healing through TIME (that's the ancient way of using herbs. They believe in preventive and pro-active and duration vs instant gratifications)

modern meds are about instant gratifications (getting it to work immediately or within 2-4 weeks)

taking herbs also require supplements and good eating habits as well as taking at the right time everyday. It takes discipline for it to really work.

Herbs themselves are really supplements to what we have to intake as our foods...

In the end, I know that I didn't offer you the answers, I just think that you should proceed with caution...

for moderate to light depression, I highly recommend exercise...I know it's helped many, myself included....even if you are disabled some how..there are ways to get that sweat out....I know it can be hard, but you can do it...

alrighty, just my 35 cents of opinion...

talk to a good doctor that has knowledge and not a snob toward herbs...they ARE out there...but don't talk to a charlatan that snobs modern medicine, they are all over the place and will sell you the latest tonic for 300% markup....

look into food that you eat as well...a lot of time, they are the best medicines....

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (08-17-2009)