View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Magnate

10 yr Member
Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Tough situation

Hi Stitcher,

I can understand how scared and frustrated you must be. We brain injury victims are not always the easiest folks to deal with. The damage often robs us of our capacity to be self-reflective and once we get an idea in our heads… I understand too your son's fear of losing his independence. I often want to do things that transcend my abilities and my family has to intervene.

I’m afraid that’s what you might have to do here. If he continues to drive in his current condition there is a strong chance that he will kill or injure himself or someone else. If he doesn’t tell his doctor about his blackout, you’ll have to. He might be angry with you for a bit. However, you know that without the TBI, a young man who would signed up to protect the interests of his countryman in a foreign land, would never want to put them at risk at home. I just wish more people understood the high price many servicemen and women are paying on their behalf.

Your son is lucky that he has you looking out for his interests.

If I may ask, have they categorized your son's TBI as either Post Concussion Syndrome (PCS) or Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI)? Fewer than 30% of DAI patients ever drive again.

Good Luck
Hockey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote