View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 08:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Peroneal Nerve Entrapment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyrocket View Post
I appreciate the well wishes, name and anatomy lesson - that was fascinating and I thank you Painfree, for taking the tme to do that.
I left out of my initial rant that I've had several emg tests - one prior to the first operation and two subsequently, the last just this past august ( because I insisted on it so there was some empirical data there ). There was/is chronic denervation in my left lateral calf though I don't have the results in front of me, I recall the peronial 'something' being mentioned.
I present with no other leg pain at all, not anywhere else in the left leg and nothing in my good one. It is very localized = if you put your middle finger on your outer ankle bump and stretched your thumb up your lateral calf, chances are you'd hit the spot. It's been rubbed, poked, needled, I've had multiple back injections under x ray to try and bathe the area in the solution they use, and I've done a trial with medtronics back stimulator. that was a nightmare, though maybe looking back now it was kind of funny in a warped way. Usually the procedure is not that long but I was on the table for four and half hours because they couldn't get the wire in the right space. Doc told me after when the lead to block the back pain was going in he kept hitting scar tissue and couldn't get it where it needed to be. And the lead for the leg pain was fun too as apparently my dermatones don't line up with the chart. He thought I'd feel the stimulation in my leg, but it was now in my other thigh !, okay how's this, no, that's buzzing now in my butt, and we went on like this for quite a while ! Needless to say, it didn't take.
Now I know because of where I live I may not be subject to the best medical care - top docs are not running to set up practice here.
The doctor in LA is not out of my reach entirely as my son is planning to move out there later this year and I'm sure I'll be helping him and visiting.
I will explore his website and thanks Shelley, for that info.
Other than the trigger point - which not to dismiss entirely but I don't think my problem here is as much muscle related that way as it is originating in my surgical area though I will ask the pain doc about it next week, do you know of anyone else on this site who has an issue related to mine, that sounds similar > if not, thanks again for your help and information and best of health in the new year.
The Peroneal Nerve can be entraped by trigger points in the the Peroneus longus (lat leg + calf) and , Extensor digitorum longus muscles (big toe).

Read more about this at: http://www.round-earth.com/Entrapment.html

"dermatones don't line up with the chart. He thought I'd feel the stimulation in my leg, but it was now in my..."

Pain referred from myofascial trigger points do not follow traditional dermatones. Pain from active trigger points can be as painful as a broken bone.

Your Dr. may want to research this peronial muscle and nerve pain and dysfunction, most Pain Dr.'s have these books in their medical library:

Travell & Simons’ Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction Trigger Point Manual Volume 1: Upper Half of the body and Volume 2: The Lower Extremities ISBN 0-683-08363-5 and ISBN 0683-08367-8. These volumes cover most muscles and associated pain patterns in the body including those which cause your pain. The muscles cause about 90% of all pain felt in the body.

Your pain is covered in volume 2 under peroneal longus.

Worth a Try:
Ask your pain Dr. to locate the trigger points in the peronial muscle and use the spray and stretch technique and or direct injections into these trigger points followed by stretch and a home stretch program. The same for the Extensor digitorum longus and tibialus anterior muscles This should give you some benefit.

Last edited by painfree; 01-05-2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: spelling
painfree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote