View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 03:58 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am going to chime as the "view from the other side".

I have epilepsy and RSD, and have had the epilepsy long before the RSD/CRPS.

One of the things you learn very early on in epilepsy/seizures, is that an MRI/CT scan ONLY picks up structural changes in the brain, and most people with epilepsy and seizures have perfectly normal scans. My MRI's and CT's have all been fine. Another thing to remember--- if you've had an EEG, that also came back "normal", is that EEG's usually only show seizures/epilepsy if you are actually having a seizure during the EEG. Some of my EEG's have been normal, some abnormal and I definitely have epilepsy.

Plus, Not all seizures result in loss of consciousness or "convulsing". There are several types (simple partials, atonic, myoclonics) that do not result in loss of consciousness, but rather a "funny feeling", twitching, weird sensations, dizziness, fogginess etc.

My suggestion is to not be so quick in blaming the RSD/CRPS. If you haven't already, please get a referral to see a good NEUROLOGIST (a neuro specializes in the brain, a PM dr treats pain-- I would never let my PM dr touch anything to do with my seizures/ epilepsy). He/She can guide you in the best direction. I would ask for an EEG, sleep deprived EEG and a thorough work up. The last thing you need is to be dealing with seizures--- that could possibly get worse, especially if not properely treated.

On another note, some pain medications and supplements are also known to cause seizures, so, a Neurologist would be able to help figure out if that is what is causing them....

Good Luck, but please don't give up and automatically assume its the RSD/CRPS before investigating more !

L2L
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (08-18-2009), Dew58 (08-17-2009), fmichael (08-19-2009), hope4thebest (08-17-2009), loretta (08-17-2009), Sandel (12-13-2010)