View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Erin, When my MG is bad, my back gets in so much pain that I can't walk. The pain is muscular, not nerve. When it's that bad, I go to physical therapy. It can initially hurt, because they have to "dig" into the tight muscles, but it gets so much better. I now know how to do it myself with rest and a very good massager.

Feel around on your back and hips. Do you have any areas that are really tender? Maybe ask someone else to push around those areas for you. If you have spots like that, it is probably the muscles in spasm.

It's also possible that you have myopathy from the steroids. Have you asked your neuro about that?

You are on Pred. Steroid injections do not make sense to me either. Most doctors have backed off on doing those injections. PT often does more and is less invasive.

If it is possible it is OB/GYN related, which I think is just a reflection a man's ignorance of those issues, then a trip to the gynecologist would be in order. Pelvic inflammatory disease, endometeriosis and fallopian tube problems (and ovarian cancer) can cause back pain.

Personally, I would trust your neuro. He has not let you down yet. And before you do any more drugs, you need to figure out FOR SURE what is the cause of the back pain. Seriously, I get really tired of doctors going straight for the drugs to fix things without figuring out WHY first.

Hang in there. I know back pain is no picnic. There are things that the PT guys can tell you that are invaluable. My neuro has physical therapists in his offices that I go to. I don't know what I'd do without them.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote