View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

mhr4 is very close about the IQ differential. They see a 9 to 10 percent decrease in the IQ of soccer players who routinely head the ball. They also often find that soccer players have thicker skulls. This would be a normal occurrence due to the stress to the bones from heading the ball.

They also find soccer players can tend to have more neck problems. As I noted previously, a chiropractor may be able to help with her neck. Worth calling around to find a chiropractor with long term experience with head injuries. She can have an injury at the occipital condyle to C-1 junction. This can cause headaches.

An interesting finding about soccer players is counter-intuitive. They find a greater risk of brain injury from heading drills that from a corner kick header toward goal. The thought is the repetition of a heading drill does not allow the brain to recover before another insult.

The other big risk is the competing or contested header. Each player is trying to head the ball in the opposite direction. These can be devastating when the two heads collide.

The incidence of head injury is higher in soccer than it is in football (American football) yet football players hit their heads far more often.

Like Donna said, seriously consider a 504 IEP (Individual Education Program). If you get ahead of her education issues, she will not be stuck trying to catch up.

My grades fell 1 whole GPA point after my injury. The school nurse tried to get my teachers to accommodate my needs but was denied. That was in 1971. No 504 IEP back then. It took me 1 1/2 years to get my grades back up.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote