View Single Post
Old 01-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default One thing that hurt me

One thing that totally hurt me was working part time, the reduction in hours until I applied for disability reduced me from about $1000 a month in 1997 until 2000 when I stopped work meant I only receive $600 a month.

I worked about a year part time and another few months reduced hours. This was averaged with my full time wages, so I had a major loss avg. my earnings.

I would ask an attorney what your options are. I never asked or had a doctor tell me I should apply for disability, but I was awarded first time no denial. I was off about three years by then.

If you are still working, you may not qualify, or have a good chance to win disability. The form is made out in a manner that if you can get up shower, dress and drive to work. If so, then benefits will be denied.

I don't think Family understands ssdi. It is a very difficult and many times lengthy process. At best; Having a doctor diagx you disabled, removed from work unable to perform your job duties, and receiving either w/c or a work policy of disability is a better start.

The other thing, there is a web site for hidden disabilities that has a lot of good information to share with family.
I spent three years waiting for my daughter to get better, to improve, it really hit me hard to realize this was as good as it got for her....

From there we just tried to salvage what is left and go day by day.

I think I mentioned once, her fiancee left as he was tired of waiting for the day she was "normal" again.It was different when she had surgery, did PT, tried to feel normal, but whole differnt story when he realized this IS it.

But, as I said I would call either soc sec and ask them, or consult an attorney about losses of benefits you may be doing by reduced work.
Hope you can sort it out,
Di

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote