View Single Post
Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk

Alex,

Sorry to read about your pain. I have had the Gamma Knife treatment for classic TN last September. After a few weeks, the my pain went away. It was great for 60 days and the pain returned worse than ever. I had the MVD surgery on 4/3/09 and have been pain free ever since. I would make sure with your Doc that the GK treatment is the best option as it isn't considered a permanent 'fix' only a band-aid. As for the amount of radiation, like the other medical physicist commented, your oncologist will (hopefully) carefully take into account all your physical make up, body weight etc. in order to determine the exact right amount delivered during the treatment. Its painless during the rpocedure itself, some moderate swelling occurred due to the halo they will undoubtedly attach to your head, but otherwise painless. They won't over radiate you and turn you into a 'hulk'. GK treatments are very precise. Make sure you have an expert nuerosurgeon or nuerologist read your MRI to ensure there is nothing else going on with your trigeminal nerve such as an artery or vein banging into it.

Hope this info helps. Best of luck in your decision. Wishing you many pain free days.

Todd Hedspeth
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Nik-key (08-21-2009)