Old 01-03-2007, 11:53 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default The seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
Hi Folk, I'm 11 months post fusion, and have butt pain on one side due to degeneration of the facet below the fusion, L5. Having been told I'd be painfree one year after surgery, I planned a wonderful vacation to take with my two kids. But...

I will be on plane, van, car, and maybe jeep. Sitting is still painful to my left buttock. There are things to do on the trip which I can only do if I can make it through a car trip of about 2 hours on unpaved road. So, reluctantly, I'm passing on these activities. But I'd really like to have the adventures I'd imagined and be comfortable.

I'm soliciting your ideas.

Today I ordered a donut pillow. I don't know if it will work, but my physical therapist thought it was worth buying. I've been unable to find suggestions on the internet for pillows for butt pain when sitting, although pillows seem to exist for jsut about every other specific problem you could imagine!

http://medicalproductsdirect.stores....pospilpos.html

Any other ideas? Remember, the big problem is absorbing shock when I'm vertical or sitting. Walking is usually okay; lying down is fine.
I find the seat itself with like a pilot seat in a van best, and when it reclines. I slaso ahve tempurpedic type foam I latch to the seat. i do not get the counter pressure like an air pillow pushing back in on me. Also, some muscle relaxants before the trip, A pillow for my lap to rest the arms, and something under my feet. Also stops at 45 minutes or stand to potty in the plane. Ask for a bulkhead seating. I have a walker rollator I use, I get seated first on the plane, i have great seat to sit on if I am waiting, place to keep stroller type items in it.

I used it for my trip to Disney Fl. the flights, and outings.

I never could have made it through the airport without it, or parks. My daughter asked for courtsy transport, her back is much worse them mine.
Make sure to stretch...
Dianne

Pocono area, PA

DiMarie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote