View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthomolecular View Post
I disagree with one point about the depression being ONLY caused by the nutritional deficiencies associated with gluten problems. In Brain Allergies by Philpott and Kalita they say that brain inflammation can cause neurological problems. This inflammation can relate back to the nutritional deficiencies but I think it should be seen as a speratate issue.

I think malabsorption is not the only problem. Of course the infllammatory response may be mitigated by the right nutritional support, but that inflammation can cause problems in the brain. I am not sure what the difference in symptoms would be from having brain inflammation vs. having some vitamin b deficiencies.
Ortho, I agree with you. I have the book Brain Allergies at home, too. There are other studies that show an alteration in brain waves in gluten sensitivite people that revert to normal off gluten, and abnormal again when adding gluten back in. And of course, there are seizures... both nutritional and immunological factors there, too.

Almost everything to do with Celiac Disease/Gluten Sensitivity may have both an immunological and nutritional basis. The ADHD and Migraine pages also have interesting info on how gluten affects the brain~

Cara

Here are a few of the other abstracts included on the Depression page, in addition to the ones suggesting "often" a result of underlying nutritional deficiency, especially in vitamins B6 and B12"... not only~

Neurological and psychiatric disorders occur in approximately 10% of patients with celiac disease. There is evidence of regional cerebral blood flow alteration in untreated celiac patients
Regional cerebral hypoperfusion in patients with celiac disease. PMID: 14984816

We describe three adult patients with undiagnosed or untreated celiac disease without particular intestinal signs, causing persistent depressive symptoms in three of the parents of our pediatric patients. In all three patients, the depressive symptoms improved quickly with a gluten-free diet.
Depression in adult untreated celiac subjects: diagnosis by the pediatrician PMID: 10086676

She suddenly experienced some esthesic hallucinations, depression, anorexia, affective flattening and autistic behavior. After 12 months of gluten-free diet a spectacular and lasting improvement of both psychotic and depressive symptoms was obtained.
Psychosis revealing a silent celiac disease in a young women with trisomy 21 PMID: 12422480

There are several case reports of coexistence of coeliac sprue and depression, schizophrenia and anxiety. Coeliac disease should be taken into consideration in patients with psychiatric disorders, particularly if they are not responsive to psychopharmacological therapy, because withdrawal of gluten from the diet usually results in disappearance of symptoms.
Psychiatric symptoms and coeliac disease PMID: 12298186

Last edited by jccgf; 09-13-2006 at 01:13 PM.
jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote