Thread: Psycho-therapy?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 03:28 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Shocked Psycho-therapy?

Am I being too stubborn here? A friend keeps trying to get me to go for counseling to help me "deal with my situation". Well ... I don't really see the point. I know I have mood ups and downs, but honestly, if I am if a flare I can't speak (literally, no voice) and I certainly don't need the extra stress of trying to find transportation to and from an appointment. And when I am better, I certainly don't want to waste precious time and energy on this.

I suppose I simply don't really have much faith in psychotherapy. When I feel down, I either go do something productive, bend a friends ear, or exercise. Why would talking to a stranger be better than my best friends? Frankly, I'd rather crochet and listen to music; I know the funk will pass. So I wait fairly patiently, try not to overdo, and enjoy what I can whenever I am up to it. I don't despair, I don't think depressive thoughts. But my friend thinks I am depressed whenever the brain fog keeps me from following a conversation or the exhaustion makes me feel like staying home and not being social. Difficulty eating and sleeping is just part of the flare package. Perhaps I should add that both my husband and my Mom agree with me on this, so I think I am painting a realistic picture here.

Or put this another way: I have this incurable disease that has robbed me of my energy and my ability to work or do many things I used to enjoy. I am surrounded by millions of people who would like to kill me (I am Israeli, not paranoid!), and someone is threatening to drop a nuclear bomb on my head in the near future. Frankly, I think I'm handling this pretty damn well!!

Any comments? Am I missing out on something that really helps? I am listening :icon_wink:
shari is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote