View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Razzle

I have been taking 50mg of Trazodone every night at bedtime as a sleep aid for several years (I think it's been over 6 years since I started taking it).

It has been fantastic for me. It helps me sleep without making me groggy in the morning and without any side effects. When my husband was going through chemo there were many many times when he would wake me up in the middle of the night and I was able to wake up to help him without feeling drugged and groggy and stupid, and I was able to wake up when he needed me.

So, for me, it is a perfect sleep aid, because it is just right in the way that it helps me fall asleep, stay asleep, and get better sleep -- but at the same time I do not have any morning groggyness or any morning hang-over type feeling that some other sleep aids can cause and I am also able to wake up in the middle of the night when needed without feeling drugged and stupid and useless.

I have been on the same exact dose for years, and it has remained effective without any issues. It works the same today as it did 6+ years ago when I first started taking it.

Technically, Trazodone is an antidepressant, but doctors rarely prescribe it for depression. I think that 90% of Trazodone prescriptions are for it to be used as a sleep aid because it is effective. I believe that most doctors now consider it to be a "sleep medication" instead of an antidepressant even though it is still officially in the antidepressants catagory.

Overall, I have been very very happy with Trazodone. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask

I hope that helps,
Liz
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote