View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Your descriptions are terrific. I didn't know about the foods.

Nonetheless, and although your description makes sense -- and your quote revealed half the mystery -- I am now looking for a reference which shows that:

The more acetylcholine that is released, the more acetylcholinesterase is produced.

As far a “basic biology,” from science classes, I have a vague recollection of reaction equilibria and increases in enzymes which catalyze reactions depending on the equilibrium; nonetheless, I can't seem to find any reference to this, either in general or for acetylcholine and acetylcholinesterase.

The best related idea I can find is this one (which would only tend to show just that the acetylcholine gets broken down more quickly in heat and not show why both acetylcholine and acetylcholinesterase appear in greater amount in the heat):

Increases in temperature will speed up the rate of nonenzyme mediated reactions, and so temperature increase speeds up enzyme mediated reactions, but only to a point...

*edit*

I understand what you are writing but there is some fundamental assumption underlying it I am not understanding -- which I am sure you know like the back of your hand.
----

With regard to the difference between the conditions, my understanding as of now is that at least the difference in tests (at least in words) is that people on DINET are tested for Ganglionic AChR antibodies and not AChR Antibodies which I guess is a test for defects at neuromuscular junctions.

I imagine there is some similarity in the type of misery people with either disorder experience in the heat -- when I try to understand what happens in MG and the difference between what happens to you guys and what happens to people with dysautonomia, I think I get a better understanding of how the sensations I have in the heat are correlated to acetylcholine defects. I start to understand how the defects are limited to certain body functions or parts because of the type of defect.

Of course, if you are awake at some point, your descriptions and explanations are wonderful to read, so if you feel like writing the details of your understanding of the difference, it would be riveting reading! Thanks so much for your patience and explanations so far.

Last edited by Koala77; 08-25-2009 at 01:55 AM. Reason: NT guidelines
Heat Intolerant is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (08-25-2009)