View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb I'm back from vacation!

Hi folks! Wow this forum is getting really BUSY...lots of new members, and Welcome to you all.

I am reading and trying to catch up, so I thought I'd make a few comments on this thread.

1) Steroids also raise blood sugar...when this happens some patients (women especially) may see Candida appear.

2) the remedies for vaginal dysbiosis are commonly out there on alternative sites. Like the yogurt and hydrogen peroxide ones.
I agree with Annie...that yogurt is a food thing, and really the benefits can be duplicated with probiotics taken orally. There are studies showing probiotics help vaginal and urinary tract infections in addition to GI benefits.

The hydrogen peroxide suggestion leaves me with some reservations too. My dentist for example, does not recommend H202 use often in the mouth, because he says it can irritate mucus membranes and cause MORE problems.
Using it as a vaginal douche or wash diluted or in smaller volumes too frequently will kill off beneficial organisms that live in that area that keep it healthy.

I searched the net today looking for medical sites that recommend yogurt or H202 and couldn't find any quickly. All I found were alternative sites or forums with comments from other people (anecdotal).

There is a product called RepHresh, which is OTC now, and designed to keep the vaginal canal at the proper pH for normal bacteria, and to discourage odor or dysbiosis. It is expensive however.

One thing I think is overlooked is oxalate that is excreted in the urine. This becomes oxalic acid...and can be very irritating.
There is an organism in the bowel that normally keeps us from absorbing too much oxalate from food. Oxalobacter formigenes. It is killed off by some antibiotics commonly used. Then the oxalate is absorbed and goes thru the kidneys, stopping off to perhaps make kidney stones (calcium oxalate) or just eliminated.

Here is a list of foods that are high in oxalate:
http://www.branwen.com/rowan/oxalate.htm

Some high end, very expensive Probiotics claim that other organisms they include help with oxalate. But I have not had personal experience with them, to be able to verify that claim.
Here is further info:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us

This one is the only one tested so far that worked on Oxalate:
http://www.vsl3.com/
It is expensive however.

Hope this helps.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AnnieB3 (08-25-2009), redtail (08-28-2009)