View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default YOU are soooo right!!

ALWAYS DO YOUR HOMEWORK...never assume the pharmacist or the doctor have done it for you!!

Anytime I am given a new RX I do two things.
  1. I read two or three Internet postings about the medication.
  2. I ask the pharmacist specifically to check for interaction. The pharmacy I use maintains a database that not only holds the meds I take, but also the medical conditions I have (which are too many anyway...LOL). So, not only can he check med-to-med interaction, but the can check med-effect-on-condition.

For example, I was prescribed Reglan over the summer. I never filled the script because I did my personal homework. I discovered that, "Reglan may cause symptoms similar to those of Parkinson's disease, such as slow movements, rigidity, tremor, or a mask-like facial appearance."

No way was I taking that pill heck I already have those symptoms...don't want to make them worse!!

Then a couple of weeks later I saw my MD neuro and mentioned that I had been suspect for gastroperisis, for which Reglan is the gold standard. I barely got the sentence out when she said, "Don't let the prescribe Relgan. It will make your PD symptoms worse." (Turned out I had bile reflux from my small intestine.)
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote