Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
I know this gets complicated.

My husband's laptop does not have wifi--- so he plugs directly into the router with a cable, like Jo describes-- a long long cable from the next room. Our laptop upstairs does have a wifi and gets our DSL from the router.

We have a Linksys router 24GHz (which has 4 plugs for cables in addition to the antenna actions) which was about $45 at Best Buy.
Previously we had a NetGear one which was very problematic and caused us much grief with its on and off temperament and erratic functions. Tiger Direct often has very good prices too, online.

If you have DSL your modem will only have so many plugs.
For example, this computer is directly plugged into our modem.
When the old router failed, I could still get onto the internet with this desktop by unplugging the router and going directly into the modem. You for example would plug the modem into the router, then using a cable you plug your desktop into the router, and then the router will send the signal to anywhere you are within its range, thru the air like a radio. Because our router is located in a room facing the yard, we get its signal outside at our picnic table. It is actually weaker upstairs.
What I still find confusing is when the modem fails. Our AT&T DSL sometimes goes down. When that happens you have to reboot your modem, router and computer in a certain order, to reset it all. I still get confused doing that, so hubby does it.

Newer laptops now have 3G cards that will for an extra fee, put you into a cell phone type linkup. That means you go thru a cell phone tower, and don't need a modem like with DSL. There is a monthly charge for this like a cell phone.

If you are getting a newer laptop I'd suggest you get a GOOD battery. At least a 6cell. Our Dell battery was poor and now dead, and we wish in retrospect we had considered a better one at the time. Now we have to replace the battery and it will be big bucks!

Okay, let's see if I have all this straight.

If I buy a laptop (which I thought already came with a built in modem, like my computer, but I guess I'm wrong there, cause it would be a dial up modem right?), then I have to get a router, attach it to my modem, attach the computer to the router, and then I could go anywhere in my home and use the laptop (not that I'm doing this, but I like to have all my eggs in a basket before I DO ANYTHING.

After going to my friend's house and watching her use the dial up I KNOW I COULD NEVER GO BACK TO DOING THAT. That would drive me bonkers.

She can't see me on youtube and everything takes SO LONG.

I just thought that with the newer laptops, they would have built in dsl modems (how silly am I in thinking this).

Now here's another thought. What if I got a modem from Verizon, and did WITH THE LAPTOP, what I did WITH THE DESKTOP.

I would go into the living room, set up a little desk, attach the external modem to the laptop, see if I get the green signal (oh wait, how stupid am I, I would have to pay for another dsl line, now wouldn't I?, OR WOULD I)?

See how confusing this is for this 61 year old brain.

God, I thought i was really getting computer literate.

and do you want to hear something funny?

My friend's son just bought a Dell. He brought it home and he now uses it. I was all excited thinking to myself "Aha, now I have someone I know who actually just bought a laptop and I can ask him all my questions"

She was on the phone with him, and I asked him the first of my series of laptop usage questions, beginning with:

"How large is your hard drive, how much memory do you have and what is your operating system?"

He sounded as if I was nuts and this was his response:"

"how the heck do I know, I just bought it, brought it home, and I go on the internet"

I didn't ask any more questions.

SIGH!!!!

lol

Melody

P.S. I'll do the router thing when I'm ready to buy a laptop, but given the Social Security situation, I don't think I'm getting one any time soon.

I'll just buy my sprouting seeds.

lol

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jomar (08-26-2009)