View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Thumbs up

DD18 signed up at collegeboard dot com at the beginning of her senior year. It was such an awesome tool and so helpful. It kept her on track, gave statistics, deadlines, etc. and many suggestions for grants and scholarships. I definitely recommend the site and completely understand why the high school recommended it.

Additionally, check out the websites for the school the boys are planning on attending. On the sites they may have a list of scholarships specific to that school as well as other information. In doing this with DD18, I found out that we qualified for a program that is run by the school. I called their office and got all the information and throughout the year communicated with them often to make sure we were on track.

Basically, the program is for any incoming freshman right from high school. They must be a resident of the state, qualify for the federal grants, have a family income below $42,000, and be accepted in to the college. DD18 received 3 grants and the program contributes pretty much the rest of her tuition. She not only is able to go to the school but live on campus and her meals are included. She does have to do a work study job to contribute the rest of the expenses.

She can continue on the program for the remainder of her education as long as she remains in good standing (academically and "behaviorally" - in otherwords, don't get in trouble).

It takes some work to find these kinds of programs but they are out there. There is also a site, not sure of the name, something like wacky scholarships, that lists all sorts of "wacky" scholarships. It is definitely worth check that out as well. I am sure you can google it and get the site.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote