View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 01:15 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Atlanta - Welcome!!

I have only been diagnosed for a couple of months - but have been searching for a diagnosis for about 3 years now. I do not have MG very badly compared to many of the other folks here.

For me, it was my right arm that was my main complaint. Got tired when I was using it - - especially if my hand was above my shoulder. Noticed my stamina was not what it used to be, but chalked it up to aging. There was no pain - just fatigued arms. And it went away after I rested. It's just that I used to be able to groom a couple of horses before a break -- and it got to the point I was taking four 'rests' to get one horse done!

Not until I was diagnosed and on Mestinon did I realize how much I had been compensating. My vision was clearer (my neuro says I have ocular, bulbar and generalized symptoms!), I didn't need to help myself up the stairs by hauling on the railing, and I could 'jump' out my chair to get the phone without using my hands and getting stabilized on my feet!!

I actually began to feel like I wasn't so 'out of shape' as I had thought - - I 'just' had MG!!

So for now (and maybe forever), I am one of the lucky ones who can get by on Mestinon and can still do most things I want to do - with awareness of how my body is reacting. Sometimes, I just have to stop what I'm doing to rest a bit. Then I can resume.

Anyway, hope this helps. I have never experienced and pain - just weakness and heaviness in my arms and legs. And recently, some marble mouth. Have asked my neuro what's next -- no one knows. I do hope that since I have no thymus issues, I may just stay like I am. But, if not, will deal with whatever comes then...not now.

Again, welcome. This is a terrific group and I have really learned a lot from them.
Sue
suev is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Debby in Texas (10-21-2014)