View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 03:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi Atlanta

Here in the UK they are not supposed to diagnose you with occular MG until you have passed the two year mark and your symptoms haven't progressed. Saying that though many drs still do diagnose it as occular then move to generalised.

How does MG feel. Yesterday I felt ok, I stripped the bed and before I had got the sheet off, my legs were shaking, like I had finished a 5 mile run. My body can feel totally normal (although sometimes when Im really bad I can compare it to how I feel just before getting a heavy cold or flu, not really achy but it doesn't feel right.) and then I go to do something and I cant do it. Like hanging washing on a line, as soon as my hands go above my shoulders my arms shake, like Ive been lifting weights. Or I can be fine getting around the house, go to climb the stairs, get one foot on the stair and theres no power there to get the other foot up. Yesterday evening my husband was putting on some socks for me (I hate having cold feet) and I couldn't hold my leg up for him to put it on. Even though he was holding the weight of my leg, it shook. I just couldn't have my leg in that position.

Today I woke up with bilateral ptosis, its eased off enough in one eye for me to be able to see. This was all caused by stripping the bed and doing the washing. I may not pay for my actions on the day I do them, but boy I will pay the next.

As Annie said the first thing I noticed was I was struggling to dry my hair. I used to straighten it everyday, I had to give up. Now if I want to dry my hair I sit on the end of the bed, rest my chest on my legs and give my hair a quick blast with the dryer. Theres no styling involved! As I now go au naturelle and have curly hair. I use a shower stool to sit whilst I have a shower, so that my legs dont shake uncontrollably. You make adjustments you have to.

I also noticed when it first started I was struggling with putting a duvet cover on the bed. I couldn't hold my arms out to do it. Then the legs started, I go out and walk the dogs for an hour and find when I got back to the car I couldn't move and would have to wait until they had rested enough. I started falling, how much that was to do with the ptosis, having my balance shot to pieces or my legs not behaving I don't know. But little by little the MG crept up on me. I was still working at this point, how I really dont know.

It got to the point where I collapsed in June 2008, I spent a week in hospital. I have never worked since and was medically retired aged 35.

I really hope that your symptoms stay occular or if you do get it generalised it stays mild. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. Although maybe a few neurologists........no Im only joking. I wouldn't wish it on them either.

Love
Rach
rach73 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote