View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 09:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post

I am going to PT as I mentioned. Each time I am there for 3+ hours, and I work hard there. I take the pain meds before I go to help me get through it. W/O the pain meds at PT I cannot do the excercizes (I am in too much pain... I cry through it).

At home I am doing a lot of what we do at PT, but I can take it easy and take a lot of breaks between it all.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have to go to PT for desensitization, strengthening and ROM. My ROM has improved somewhat, but I cannot get my arm lifted straight out in the air itself. The muscles are very weak.

Do you have any ideas of what to do for sensitivity to touch? That is a major problem for me. I am just SO sensitive. I am doing desensitization sticks at PT, fluido (ground up corn husks blown all over your arm w/ heat!) and whirlpool.

I am thankful that my Dr. found out I had RSD before it got worse, so that hopefully I can recover.

Thanks for the help. I must go now, my arms are had it! Typing is not easy, but I am trying to keep my hands moving and I'm trying to do as much as I can.

HI VANESSA!
Welcome! As you are, I am new to this forum but definitely not new to RSD. It sounds like you are definitely on the right track though with PT.

To introduce myself... I am HEATHER, and I'm not too much older than you, I'm going to be 21 in May. I have had RSD for 7 years now and I know what you are going through with being in high school and having RSD, so if you need a shoulder to lean on, let me know. It can be toughest when you are young with RSD becuase of your peers. I remember many people my age not understanding what it was and making fun etc..

SENSITIVITY... I remember my leg being so sensitive I couldn't sleep with sheets... One of my mom's friends with RSD recommended me using a VELUX or VELOUR blanket. It is extremely soft and so I wrapped myself in that in order to sleep. I remember using stupid things around the house that PT made me tap on my leg to make it not sensitive anymore. And I mean stupid and wierd things such as bottle caps, toothpicks, etc.. At the time of doing it I thought it was stupid but within a year I was able to touch my leg on a more constant basis. I still have days that happen that even a breeze hurts but its MUCH more manageable. PLUS I still do the whol desensitizing thing on my own and its like 5 years after I did that in PT...

BE POSITIVE and if you have any other questions... keep em coming

I found I could say things with color and shapes
that I couldn't say any other way...
things I had no words for
.-Georgia O'Keefe
HeatherAnne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (07-08-2009)