View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 08:04 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

From the article:

"Benedetti has helped design a protocol for minimizing volunteers' expectations that he calls "open/hidden." In standard trials, the act of taking a pill or receiving an injection activates the placebo response. In open/hidden trials, drugs and placebos are given to some test subjects in the usual way and to others at random intervals through an IV line controlled by a concealed computer. Drugs that work only when the patient knows they're being administered are placebos themselves."

Please explain this sentence to me. I understand it...

"Drugs that work only when the patient knows they're being administered are placebos themselves."

Quote:
let's all pretend to be perfectly happy and healthy and see what happens.
Paula, I've often said that I wish we could harness the powerful placebo effect that exists in PD trials.

You may know about my theory of completing feedback loops with visual, auditory, and sensory cues. That also includes cues that we just think about, for example, an inner metronome to give us rhythm. These feedback loops allow us to move better, etc. because the automatic loops that healthy people have are broken for us, or work only occasionally.

Well, perhaps anticipating reward forms new connections in the brain that effect the same behavior as the drugs.

We read that electro stimulation of the spine affects neurons that are connected to tactile sensations which make connections in our brain. I would say it completes a loop necessary for our brain to react and allow us to move better.

We don't need to electro stimulator if our mind can supply the same connection by employing external cues!

Same with the drugs. We may be able to imagine our way to the same result.

We need to come up with a way to anticipate reward in a meaningful, efficient, effective way. Let's think about it, please. We need to get cracking!

There are only three colors, 10 digits, and seven notes; it's what we do with them that's important.
~John Rohn
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (08-28-2009)